Applications for Year 7, 2019 are now closed. Applications may still be submitted via the Waiting List.
|Tuesday, 28 March 2017||
Information Evening for Family Surnames A - K
(New and Current Families)
Auditorium, 7.30 - 9.00pm
|Wednesday, 29 March 2017||
Information Evening for Family Surnames L - Z
(New and Current Families)
Auditorium, 7.30 - 9.00pm
|Parents who are unable to attend their scheduled night, are more than welcome to attend on the alternate night.|
|Friday, 21 April 2017||
Application form with fee to be received by 3.30pm
* All applications after this time are considered Late Applications *
St Bernard’s aspires to be faithful to the four touchstones of a Catholic School in the Edmund Rice tradition. These touchstones are Liberating Education, Justice and Solidarity, Gospel Spirituality and Inclusive Community. In committing to be an inclusive community we aim to be accepting and welcoming to all families and aspire to accommodate all who seek enrolment. Where this is not possible we undertake to engage respectfully, honestly and transparently with families who do us the honour of seeking a place at St Bernard’s.
In order for St Bernard’s to make fair and informed decisions relating to enrolment, it is important that families follow all steps in the enrolment process as set out below and meet the relevant deadlines.
Families are asked to:
- Attend an enrolment meeting when the student is in Year 5. The date of this meeting will be published on the College website and through the primary schools in our priority parishes annually.
- Complete the online application, enrolment form and lodge these by the due date together with $300 application fee.
- Attend a pre-enrolment interview if requested. The College will usually request enrolment interviews with families who meet the qualifying criteria (son is baptised Catholic, resides within a Catholic Education Office-nominated Priority Parish, and attends one of the Catholic Primary schools within the Priority Parish). The College may also request interviews with families who have a son who is currently attending St Bernard's, or has attended the College in the past. The College may also request interviews with other families on the basis of other criteria (please refer to the enrolment criteria below).
- First round offers will be made to families in December while the student is still in Year 5.
On receiving an offer families are asked to:
Confirm acceptance of the offer in writing by completing the acceptance form and returning it to the College together with the Advance Payment Scheme installment as outlined in the letter of offer by the due date (usually within two weeks).
Should a family choose not to accept an offer, we would appreciate being advised as soon as possible to enable the College to make an offer to another family.
Decisions About Enrolment
The College would like to enrol all families who seek a place at St Bernard’s. Often this is not possible and the final decision in relation to enrolment rests with the Principal.
In making decisions about enrolment the College will take into account the following:
- Whether the student is a Roman Catholic [requires presentation of Baptism Certificate]
- Whether the family resides in a Priority Parish as outlined in the Catholic Education Office enrolment guidelines *
- Whether the student attends a Catholic Primary school within one of the Priority Parishes [as outlined by the Catholic Education Office] **
- Whether the student has a family connection with the College by having:
- A sibling who is a current or former student;
- A father or grandfather who attended the College;
- A mother whose brothers attended the College;
- A parent who is a staff member.
The College has an obligation to interview applicants who meet at least three of the four enrolment criteria described above. Additional criteria includes:
- Whether the student’s family supports their parish and primary school to the best of their ability;
- Whether the student works and participates in his primary school to the best of his ability.
* St Bernard’s Priority Parishes are:
Airport West, Ascot Vale/Maribyrnong, Avondale Heights, Keilor, Keilor East, Essendon, Essendon West/Aberfeldie, Moonee Ponds, Niddrie and Strathmore.
** The Catholic Primary Schools considered part of the priority parishes are:
- St Christopher's - Airport West
- St Mary's - Ascot Vale
- St Margaret's - Maribyrnong
- St Martins - Avondale Heights
- St Peters - Keilor East
- St Augustines - Keilor
- St Therese's - Essendon
- Our Lady of the Nativity - Essendon West/Aberfeldie
- St Monica's - Moonee Ponds
- St John Bosco - Niddrie
- St Vincent de Paul - Strathmore
- Resurrection House - Essendon
(Click each link to view a map of that parish's boundaries.)
Students who reside within the boundaries of a priority parish and attend a primary school (listed above) will generally receive priority over a student at the same school who resides outside the parish boundaries or a student who lives within the parish boundaries and attends a non-listed primary school.
Applications for places in Years 8-12 may be made at any time. All applicants will be placed on a Waiting List. Priority will generally be given to Catholic boys who meet the criteria for enrolment who are moving from another Catholic school due to a change in residence. Catholic boys currently attending another Catholic school within the area may be enrolled after consultation with that school's Principal.
Last updated January 31, 2017