Discere et Agere : To Learn and To Do

A Catholic boys’ college in the Edmund Rice Tradition

Achieving Excellence Through Learning and Doing

College History

On 20 August 1940, the feast day of St Bernard of Clairvaux, 224 boys in Years 7 to 11 carried their desks from St Monica’s across the Park to a new school on The Strand in Moonee Ponds. Four Christian Brothers under the leadership of Brother Cregan began classes and St Bernard’s College was born. In 1963 Classes commenced on the current campus in West Essendon.

Below is a video of the opening of the school in 1963 (watch on YouTube).